2 cups (225 g) 8 oz flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 oz (100 g) margarine
1/2 cup (100 g) 4 oz sugar
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda) dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
2 large tablespoons golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup), warmed
1. Sift the flour, ginger and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Rub in the margarine. Add the sugar, then mix to a dough with the bicarbonate of soda mixture and syrup.
3. Roll the mixture into walnut-sized balls and place them on greased baking sheets.
4. Press down the centre of each ball with your thumb.
5. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6 for about 10 minutes.