Makes 2x 900g (2lb) loaves
1 teaspoon salt
450ml (16fl oz) warm water
1 tablespoon dried yeast
750g (1lb 10oz) strong plain white flour
1. Dissolve the sugar in 150ml (5fl oz) water. Sprinkle the yeast and whist. Leave for 20-30 minutes until frothy on top. (If using instant yeast, please see the note at the bottom of the recipe)
2. Put the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in yeast mix and the rest of the water, mix to a dough.
3. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, put in a a bowl and cover with oiled cling film or a clean tea towel, to prevent a skin forming.
4. Sit the dough somewhere warm for 1-2 hours until doubled in size. Knock back, cut the dough in half, shape each peace and put into 2 buttered 900g (2lb) loaf tins.
5. Cover and prove for 30-40 minutes until the dough fills the tins. Dust with Flour and bake at 220 Deg C/425 deg F/Gas 7 for 30 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the base.
Source: Best Food Fast, Book 11 - Perfect Pizza & Bread ~ Pg 8
Note: If you are using instant yeast, do not use sugar and do not dissolve it in the water. Mix the instant yeast in with the other dry ingredients before adding the warm water.